Fossil Fools: Online Mischief @Mossmorran
01apr1:00 pm4:00 pmFossil Fools: Online Mischief @MossmorranJoin CCS for a day of of online action demanding climate criminals Shell and ExxonMobil and MSP candidates commit to #ShutDownMossmorran and enact a #JustTransition1:00 pm - 4:00 pm OrganiserClimate Camp Scotland
Register here. Join Climate Camp Scotland on April Fools Day – Thursday 1st April, 1pm to 4pm – for Fossil Fools: Online Mischief @Mossmorran. We are getting together on Zoom for an afternoon
Join Climate Camp Scotland on April Fools Day – Thursday 1st April, 1pm to 4pm – for Fossil Fools: Online Mischief @Mossmorran.
We are getting together on Zoom for an afternoon of virtual action demanding climate criminals Shell and ExxonMobil and MSP candidates commit to #ShutDownMossmorran and enact a #JustTransition.
Why April 1st?
- April Fools Day is the traditional time for making mischief and pointing out stupidity. And what could be more foolish than continuing to extract, process and burn fossil fuels in the face of #ClimateCrisis?
- ExxonMobil’s Fife Ethylene Plant at Mossmorran is closing for maintenance to carry out repairs and upgrades (their touting this as a £140million ‘investment’ is yet another example of industry gaslighting). Our message: do not re-open.
- This online action is in solidarity with the local community who may have to endure more flaring while the plant is closed (while being told the emissions are just like bananas, by a company that has been lying about the health impacts of their operations for fifty years…). We will also highlight that even if the flaring after reopening is not as frequent or as noisy, Mossmorran remains Scotland’s third worst polluter. The plants will still be spewing out emissions that are already causing droughts, flooding, famine and unbearable temperatures across the globe.
- Scottish Parliament elections are coming up in May – and March 31st is the deadline for prospective MSPs to announce their candidacy. We want to get in early in asking our current and potential elected representatives for #NoMoreEmptyPromises on climate and to commit in this election for a #JustTransitionMossmorran – for the health and peace of mind for the people of Fife, fair and secure jobs for workers in Scotland, and a habitable planet for us all.
- While we are still unable due to covid to safely travel outwith our local areas or gather in person, online actions are a great way to make connections and build solidarity across Scotland.
- Green trolling the #ClimateCriminals is an empowering and effective way of combating the gaslighting and misinformation of the oil and gas industry.
- We will use different tactics that you can choose according to what you’re comfortable with.
(Thursday) 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm