A burning issue? Waste, climate and health in the developing world
11nov10:00 am11:30 amA burning issue? Waste, climate and health in the developing world OrganiserBright BlueThe Aspire Room, The Studio, 67 Hope Street, Glasgow, G2 6AE10:00 am - 11:30 am Event TypeWebinar & TalksThemeClimate Justice,Energy & Renewables,Nature & Biodiversity
Poor waste management practices in the Global South is leading to open burning of waste, having dire consequences for human health and the environment globally. In this panel, we discuss
Poor waste management practices in the Global South is leading to open burning of waste, having dire consequences for human health and the environment globally. In this panel, we discuss how better waste management practices can be delivered in developing countries, explore the true impact open burning is having on climate change, and what changes need to be made – by both government and the private sector – to reduce plastic waste globally.
– Sir Nicholas Kay KCMG, COP26 Regional Ambassador for Africa (invited)
– Maurice Golden MSP, Convener, Cross-Party Group on Circular Economy
– The Hon Lamin B. Dibba, Minister of Environment, Climate Change and Natural Resources, Republic of The Gambia
– Charles Heaulme, Chief Executive, Huhtamaki Group Plc
– Ceris Turner-Bailes, Chief Executive Officer, WasteAid
– Ryan Shorthouse, Chief Executive, Bright Blue (Chair)
– What impact are poor waste management practices, especially open burning, having on human health and the environment globally?
– How can the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change account for emissions from open burning?
– What are the key barriers to developing comprehensive waste management systems in developing countries?
– What measures are most effective in delivering higher rates of reduction, reuse and recycling, particularly in developing countries?
– How best can developed countries support developing countries with better waste management?
– Does the Basel Convention need to be strengthened, and if so, how?
You do not need a conference pass to attend this event. You can just show up, but please register using this page.
(Thursday) 10:00 am - 11:30 am