Mushroom Alchemy How To Grow Oyster Mushrooms From Household Waste
27oct6:00 pm9:00 pmMushroom Alchemy How To Grow Oyster Mushrooms From Household WasteEverything you need to know to grow oyster mushrooms from household waste OrganiserRHYZEThe Forge, Viewforth Rd, Edinburgh, EH11 1AL6:00 pm - 9:00 pm Event TypeWorkshop & TrainingThemeFood & Agriculture
In this 3 hour introduction to mushroom cultivation workshop not only will you learn everything that you need to know to begin growing mushrooms in your own home, you will
In this 3 hour introduction to mushroom cultivation workshop not only will you learn everything that you need to know to begin growing mushrooms in your own home, you will also come away with all of the materials that you need to get started.
In this workshop you will:
- Discuss why mushrooms are uniquely suited to urban cultivation and regenerative food system
- Learn about the life-cycle of mushroom and understand the needs of mushrooms and mycelium
- Learn the basics of mushroom cultivation from spawn production to harvest
- Explore different substrates, containers and fruiting spaces you could create from household waste
- Inoculate your own cardboard spawn to take home
- Inoculate your own bucket with sawdust, coffee grounds and mushroom spawn.
All participants will take home their own spawn burritos, inoculated buckets, skooshers, and a detailed workshop booklet with everything that you need to know to care for your mushrooms at home and continue your mushroom cultivation journey.
In addition we’ll spend a bit of time at the end giving everyone a short tour of our farm tour so you can get an idea of what a small scale mushroom farm and lab look like.
How To Get Here:
The Gilmore Park entrance and parking lot is now locked – so there is no parking on site and you will need to enter from the Viewforth entrance.
🚶Walking – Enter at The Forge, Viewforth Rd, Edinburgh EH11 1AL
🚴Bike – Enter at The Forge, Viewforth Rd, Edinburgh EH11 1AL
🚌 Most Edinburgh buses stop at Bread Street, you can then walk along Fountainbridge to the Forge in around 12 minutes.
🚆Train – Arriving into Haymarket Train Station, you can walk 12 minutes via this route: https://goo.gl/maps/ZkfdK3zBHXPMU7XA6
Arriving into Waverley Train Station, the 1 and the 34 bus will take you to Fountain Park bus stop.